Mitigating the high consequence hazards in the Mineral Products Industry
Fatal 5 - Struck by moving or falling object
31% of the fatalities in the industry are associated with individuals being struck by moving or falling objects.
Incidents involving injuries from a falling or moving object commonly are associated with operators dropping tools, parts or dislodging materials that either fall on them or a colleague, individuals being struck during loading or unloading, materials being thrown out during a manufacturing process, materials falling from conveyors or other transportation system and failure of strapping/lifting device during maintenance procedures.
These risks can be mitigated by a range of measures which include;
- Complete lifting plans and supervision of lifting operations
- Wearing appropriate PPE such as safety helmets and boots
- Overhead protection or use of netting
- Better guarding that prevents spillage
- Checking that the correct lifting devices are being used
- Checking that lifting devices are well maintained
- Maintaining safety zones during loading and unloading
- Moving pedestrians away form high risk areas
- Ensuring that storage areas and shelving are appropriate
- Better risk assessments and safe systems of work.
Please click on buttons below to view more information.